Data Cleansing & Hygiene
Many organisations don’t realise the terrible state of their data. They have dirty data spread throughout their data sets, with inaccurate, incomplete and out-of-date information littering their spreadsheets and databases. Some common types of data errors include:
- Invalid, incomplete and missing information in place of essential details such as names, addresses, phone numbers and email addresses.
- Illegal characters, spelling mistakes or incorrect information within the data fields.
- Information in the wrong fields – phone numbers in the address field, emails instead of postcodes.
Dirty data has extensive negative effects on all data-driven activities, especially marketing. Without regular data cleansing, organisations can suffer the following:
- Duplicate records. These are costly, affect brand reputation and prevent accurate contact profiling.
- Dirty data. Information is of poor quality, incomplete and inconsistent.
- Undeliverable emails, with emails not reaching the intended recipient’s inbox.
- Undeliverable mail. This wastes money, resources and effort.
DCA Can Help Ensure Your Database is Clean and Accurate
Having clean, accurate data is critical as it ensures information is consistent, standardised and uniform, in the right fields and uses only valid characters. DCA apply various cleansing routines according to each client’s requirements, and can also help to determine business rules for maintaining data quality in the future.
A complete data cleansing and hygiene process improves the condition of an organisation’s data in terms of:
- Errors and inconsistencies
- Maintenance of a single customer view
- Adherence to best marketing practice
- Compliance with privacy laws
Benefits of DCA’s data cleansing and hygiene work include:
- The tangible: deliverable mail and email, useable phone numbers.
- The intangible, mainly affecting brand and reputation. Names are personalised, correctly cased and gender-matched; addresses are neat and clean; the correct communication is sent to the right person. The last thing you want is to appear amateur or sloppy, let alone offend or annoy your customers.
- Accurate data analysis. Running reports based on bad data gives skewed or incorrect reports and results, resulting in missed customers, trends and opportunities.
Good data is important: a review of our clients’ databases suggests poor data quality can cost an organisation a substantial percentage of their annual revenue, lost sales, ineffective data-driven marketing campaigns, administration overheads and preventable shipping errors. Hence our obsession with data cleansing and hygiene: it is a critical step on the road to quality data for any use: from segmentation to marketing campaigns, reporting and more.
DCA Can Clean All Types of Data
Irrespective of an organisation’s database systems or file formats, DCA can cleanse all types of data. These include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Marketing databases – digital, online and offline
- CRM systems
- Mobile databases
- Old database systems
- Retail omni-channel data
- Point of sale systems
- Accounting databases
- Customer, prospects and sales data
- Customised databases
- Relational databases
- Social media data
- Website data
Click here to view the Data Cleansing Infograph.
Data Cleansing Case Studies
DCA has conducted many successful data cleansing projects. Click on the logos below to read what our customers have to say.
Click here to view more Client Case Studies.